Albuquerque, NM – August 26, 2013 Albuquerque Business First announced its nominees for its Top CEO awards in the August 23rd edition of the business journal. Doug Brown, Dean of UNM’s Anderson School of Management and member of the STC.UNM Board of Directors, has received the competition’s Career Achievement Award.
Mr. Brown was appointed Dean of UNM’s Anderson School of Management in February 2009. He brings extensive experience in both the public and private sector to the business school. Most recently, Dean Brown has been the Principal in Brown and Brown Ventures, LLC, a holding company for various real estate holdings, an internet company and several new product activities. Previous positions include appointment by Governor Bill Richardson as New Mexico State Treasurer, President and CEO of Tuition Plan Consortium, and President and CEO of Talbot Financial Services. As State Treasurer, Dean Brown was responsible for cleaning up the scandal-ridden agency. Under his leadership, Tuition Plan Consortium, an association of private colleges and universities offering the Independent 529 Plan, received a “Best Product of the Year” award from BusinessWeek. As the Co-Founder of Talbot Financial Services, he oversaw a start-up that grew to over $2 billion in annual sales nationwide. Dean Brown also has twenty-eight years of banking experience with ABQ Corp., Crocker Bank and Wells Fargo Bank.
Under Dean Brown’s leadership, The Anderson School, home to 1,600 students, has a number of accomplishments to be proud of this past year:
- Continued high graduation rate (90%) at the undergraduate level.
- One of the nation’s leading programs of ethical and socially responsible conduct.
- Recognition as the nation’s #3 leading Hispanic-serving MBA program.
- A Technology Business Plan Competition involving teams of graduate students competing for $40,000 in prizes.
- An Executive MBA program filled with leaders from all sectors of the business and government communities.
- Record attendance at the annual Anderson Alumni Hall of Fame recognition dinner.
- A nationally recognized Information Assurance program in partnership with the FBI.
- Top placement in national student marketing competitions.
- A full schedule of presentations by business leaders at the Paul R. Jackson Student Center.
- Recognition by US News as #7 nationally in MBA employment within 90 days (94%).
- The Native American Career Fair, an annual event that has become a premier venue to connect Native American students and employers with the Anderson community.
- Recent re-accreditation by the AACSB for a full five-year period.
The STC.UNM Board of Directors congratulates Dean Brown on his well-deserved Career Achievement Award!
For more information, contact: