Hosted by the UNM Innovation Academy and STC.UNM
Do you have an innovative idea for a product, service, or technology?
Would you like to win money to help turn your idea into a reality? The Rainforest Pitch Competition provides an opportunity for students of all majors and from any New Mexico university to pitch their entrepreneurial ideas for a chance to win from a pool of over $5,000 in cash prizes.
This Spring, the pitch competition will be fully online!
Deadline to apply: April 13, 2020 @ 11:59 PM
What is the Rainforest Pitch Competition?
To be eligible to compete in the Rainforest Student Pitch Competition, you must submit an Application to Pitch.
Instructions and Guidelines:
There will be one round in the competition.
Record a 90-second video of a student or team of students delivering an elevator pitch for your business/idea. Videos should capture student(s) delivering the pitch to the camera. The pitch should be delivered in a single take. Videos should not be edited together or produced with visuals or effects. This doesn’t mean it needs to be filmed on the first take, but there should be no post-production done to the pitch (i.e. don’t edit two halves of different takes together). Avoid reading from scripts or cue cards. Please be sure to record the video in a reasonably quiet environment to make it easier for the judges to hear and understand. Avoid recording outdoors or in loud hallways.
A panel of judges will view the video submissions and determine the winners of the pitch competition.
Students enter for the competition by submitting a video pitch by April 13 at 11:59 pm for review by a team of judges.
For questions, send via e-mail to: Tiffini Porter, UNM Innovation Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The competition is open to university students enrolled in the Spring 2020 semester.
Judging is based on:
- Audience impact
Submissions will be allowed a maximum of 90 seconds for their pitch.
- The decisions of the judges are final.
- All federal, state and local taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the winners. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
- By entering in the competition, the contestants give permission to STC.UNM, the University of New Mexico, the UNM Innovation Academy and Innovate New Mexico to use the names of the winners and their project for publicity and/or trade purposes without further compensation unless prohibited by law. Contestants grant permission to STC.UNM and the University(ies) to record and publicize their oral and written presentations, in whole or in part. All submitted materials become the property of the STC.UNM and the University and will not be returned to the contestants.
- Contestants and any business entities associated with them release and discharge STC.UNM, The University of New Mexico, the UNM Innovation Academy and Innovate New Mexico, the judges, and prize sponsors, from any and all liability associated with participating in the Rainforest Student Pitch Competition and with the start-up and operation of any businesses described in the business plans.
- Contestants should not present any information to the judges, orally or in writing, which they deem to be confidential, proprietary, or commercially sensitive. Information presented will not be kept secret.
- Contestants cannot submit an idea that the contestant(s) presented at a past STC.UNM/UNM Innovation Academy pitch competition if selected as finalist and presented in the final round. A new idea must be submitted if interested in participating n subsequent Rainforest pitch competitions.