STC seeks an Innovation Manager to participate in innovation activities for a portfolio of technologies, primarily in life sciences. For more information about STC, please visit our web site at www.stc.unm.edu.
Description of Position and Qualifications:
Reporting to the Director of Commercialization, the Innovation Manager will participate in all aspects of protecting and commercializing a portfolio of technologies. The Innovation Manager will assist in evaluating new disclosures, coordinating the protection of intellectual property, and developing and implementing marketing strategy plans for selected technologies. Commercialization processes include licensing to established companies and facilitating new start-up companies based on UNM technologies.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Interacting with faculty/researchers regarding disclosures, intellectual property protection and commercialization status;
- Assisting with review of commercialization activities for a portfolio of technologies, primarily in life sciences, including evaluation, patent protection, marketing and licensing;
- Assisting with development and implementation of marketing strategy plans for selected technologies, including establishing initial contacts with potential licensees and partners;
- Assisting with maintenance of extensive patent portfolio and correspondence with outside patent law firms handling patent prosecution;
- Working with other STC staff, monitoring executed license agreements to assure commercialization, compliance and payment; and
- Assisting with the formation and licensing of start-up companies based on UNM technologies
- Candidate must have at least a bachelor’s degree in a life sciences discipline
- Strong negotiation and communication skills
- Must be self-starter, work well with others, pay close attention to detail, follow through on tasks, and manage/coordinate multiple tasks
- Must be able to work successfully with academic researchers, entrepreneurs and industry executives
- Entrepreneurial and excellent interpersonal skills are critical in this position
- MBA or current/prospective MBA student
- Advanced science degree
- Knowledge of U.S. intellectual property and patent process
- Experience working in a university technology-transfer position
This is a full-time salaried staff position. Salary will be commensurate with the successful applicant’s qualifications and experience. STC offers a generous benefits package, including paid time-off (sick and vacation), medical/dental/vision and other insurance coverage, and a retirement plan.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume, and the names of three professional (3) references to:
STC.UNM Administration Manager